Share

Virtual guide

Nearby...

26. Abbey of SS. Michele e Nicolò

Phone 0371 230024
Street and number Piazza della Chiesa
City Villanova del Sillaro

In 1480 the abbey was built by the Olivetani monks who also built the adjoining convent.
Two statues depicting the Madonna and Archangel Gabriel decorated the monastery’s stairway. But latter the abbey suffered various occupations and raids during which the two statues were lost.
The statue of the Madonna Bianca was re-discovered in 1836 and the parish priest Gelmini had it restored and placed in the former great vestry which was transformed into a chapel for the occasion.

Opening days and timetables: from May to September, Sunday afternoons from 15.00 to 18.00 and Sunday mornings immediately after mass from 9.30. Contact the verger and Parish Priest Daccò Don Stefano for other times when the abbey is open.