Virtual guide


14. Castle of Sant’Angelo Lodigiano

Web site
Phone 0371 211140
Street and number Piazza Bolognini 2
City Sant'Angelo Lodigiano

In Lombardy in the XIV century, the castle was an important example of medieval architecture.
Bernabò Visconti donated the impressive castle of medieval architecture to his wife Regina della Scala (1379) who had the Torre Mastra built. Inherited by Francesco Sforza, it was later donated to the Bolognini Attendolo. After sieges and raids by the French and Spanish, the fort underwent numerous modifications. It became a military headquarters and a factory where silk was made until it was inherited by Count Gian Giacomo Morando (1865) who renovated it returning it to its ancient forms.

In 1933 the castle was donated to the Istituto per la Cerealicoltura di Roma was turning into a museum. Currently it houses the Museum of Bread, the History of Agriculture and a Historical Museum rich in furnishings, weapons, paintings and archaeological finds.